Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Post Vacation Catch Up Mode


And so we just finished 2 weeks with our dear friends from Poland, Darek, Beata and Mattie.  So much fun, and Zak changed so much.

First of all, he's getting much better at expressing his feelings...but he does get mad.  I don't even remember what he was mad at me for, but right before Darek and Beata came, he was so frustrated with me for something.  I saw him walking around my bedroom fuming.  Finally, he took a wedding picture of Kuba and I, and put it in the bathroom.  He said he was so mad, he didn't want to see our picture right then. 

On my day off, we took them all to Glenwood Commons.  I like that park, but it's impossible for me to get Zak away from the trains they have there.  Mattie was not so interested in the trains, so I forced Zak to explore a bit more the rest of the park.  He again got very frustrated with me, and told me to sit right down and explain to him what I wanted from him and why.  He then proceeded to sit cross-legged on the ground and waited for me to sit down across from him and talk to him.  I assume this is something they do at school because I certainly didn't teach it to him.  It did work though, I sat down, explained that Mattie wanted to see more of the park, and he said, "OK, 5 minutes.  Then we go back to the trains."  I think I was too shocked to argue.

On the flip side, he'll just come up to me sometimes and say things like "I just love you so much."  Or yesterday, Kuba went out to the backyard in the morning to check on something, and Zak hollered out "Tato!  It's a little coldish out there...you might want to put on a jacket!"  He was very serious.  

Work wise I've decided to go back to 4 days a week.  There was definitely an interesting discussion with my manager about what are my ambitions here, do I want to continue further up the ladder, time is ticking by, etc.    I still need to internalize some of the discussion.  I think he was very happy I decided to return to 4 days.  Funny thing is, no discussion on the work load, because I had already let it grow too much for 3 days, and we both knew it.  I think going from 3 days to 4 days is going to feel like a huge amount of time for me...and I think Zak is ready for 4 days a week at school.  We have such a good base.  I'm so proud that I made it work for a year and a half..and happy to continue on at 4 days.

Today wasn't the best use of our day together though.  I had a migraine all night, and it continued until around noon.  Poor Zak.  I debated between taking him on in to school or not...but he sat near me on the bed, bounced around and watched WallE all morning.  The bouncing around certainly didn't help my head...neither did the little face in my face every 30 minutes asking me "Mommy, are you still sick?  Can you get up now and play?"  It made me feel even worse.  I feel so sorry for any mom dealing with a chronic illness....I would hate for Zak to see me like that all the time.  The afternoon we spent doing chores to catch up from our vacation.  Zak has chores that he likes to do, and those that he doesn't.  I asked him to take some folded laundry up to his room...but he said he felt the floor needed cleaning instead.  He said Tato "made a big mess of the floor and he needed to clean it up."  Never mind that we just mopped it yesterday, and I have no idea what mess he thought Kuba made.  Anyway, it got a good Zak cleaning today.  

I did ask him if he'd like to take some more swim classes, he said he'd prefer gymnastics (Tumblebees)...so I think I'll look into that again.  

Anyway, last month for 3 days a week!  I hope to make the most of it from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment