Friday, March 5, 2010

Background

Ok, well. I'm now officially one of those women that has at least taken a small pause from my "high-powered" career to spend more time with my son. Apparently this is a growing trend in the US. I know, because like all my big decisions in life, I researched quite a bit before finally deciding to do it.

I'm an Associate Director at a Fortune 50 company. Still slightly on the young side, and certainly my career is still on the up swing. In my whole life, I've always pushed for that next grade, next rating, next promotion. Maybe now I'm pushing to be the perfect Mom. I still feel I'm pushing to be the best I can at work too, just in 3 days instead of 5, but certainy I've gotten a lot of comments, including one person who suggested I was rather brazen to do this after only 1 year as an associate director. I recognize it's a trade-off, but mybe my overachieving side really thinks I can be the perfect mom and perfect AD in 3 days. Hard to tell, but I ccertainly have at least admitted I didn't feel I was doing a good enough job on the Mom side, so needed to make this change.

It was a TOUGH decision! 60% of my salary, putting myself in a risky position when the economy and unemployment are so high, never ever putting something ahead of my career in the past. It took a lot of soul-searching. In the end...well, let's see how this goes.

I admit openly that I'm extremely lucky to even have this option. Many companies wouldn't even consider a 3 day work week. On the other hand, they are getting a great resource at 60% of the pay :-) At a time when we are looking to cut and cut...maybe there is an upside for my company as well (gives me a little breathing room on my budget too!)

In general, people at work have been very supportive. Most of my colleagues have said they absolutely understood this decision, and that most of their wives (amny are male colleagues)had given up their high powered jobs to take care of their family ... and they wouldn't have changed anything. They understand how fast their children have all grown up (and most already have their children grown)....so even have sounded a little sad when they coach me to treasure every day.

I did have a few interesting interations (not all from work colleagues). One I mentioned already, saying this was a rather brazen act. Another asked had I really thought this through? What am I really going to do with my son all day? Another suggested "You know, he (your son) won't remember this once he's grown." Someone suggested it looked like I was doing this to prove a point.

Most of those comments had nothing to do with my decision to do this. Maybe I am trying to prove I can do both, so maybe I'm trying to prove a point. But at the end of the day, what I really, really wanted, was more time with my son, with my brain turned off from work.

And so...the journey begins. I start this blog so that on the most optimistic side, maybe others considering a similar decision can see what another person who has made this decision is going through. I promise to try not to "over-sell" the decision and make it as real as possible for the day I'm writing. On the least optimistic side, well, then Zak will have a good momento of what I did when he was very young.

And so it begins....

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations - doing what feels right to you is always a great move. If your looking for some great Mom & Me activities, check out http://www.theplaceforfamilies.com/ in Northside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wojtek Mach: congrats, very empowering article

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve Elliott: Good for you . . . congrats!!! Always knew you had your head on straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara Maxey: I love that you are blogging about this ... I didn't realize so much of the feedback that you have been getting! You only have one life to live and one son for the time being and you said it yourself ... what you really wanted was more time with your son ... and you have that now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shea Lawrence: This makes me smile! Don't exchange one work for another, though. That can be a tough challenge transitioning!! Also, I have to give you some unsolicited advice - don't make your goal to have the laundry done or gourmet dinner on the table, either. Enjoy yourself and Zac (and your husband) while you can take this time, ok?? I know you will, but even on the long days, it goes so quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul V. Higdon: I am behind you 100%. I hope this will bring you more happiness, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agata Rosolska: if you feel this is the right thing to do (and i know you do), do it. listen to other people's comments but take the weed out. im sure you will feel a much better Mum and AD when you feel your priorities / balance are right. plan your work wisely, so that you can really spend 4 days with your family and 3 days at work, not the other way around. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krzysztof Stefanski: April, I am so proud I had a chance to report to you!! full respect!! finger crossed for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Krzysiek bardzo dziekuje! Everything will be fine. It's only for a year or two. I just need to make sure i get my time management under control :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Shea don't worry...I have a husband who cooks dinner every night and does his own laundry. Zak loves doing his (I know, he's still young)...so it's a once a week thing we do together. But point taken! Time is precious...keep me honest if you see me blogging about chores instead of quality fun time! I'm more worried about slipping into work email :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agata Rosolska: the concept of having to choose between work and family is getting outdated. it's been created by men, maybe even served as an excuse for them. i'm glad we enter the world where women can have both and have a freedom of choosing what the right work-family blend/balance is. i'm also glad that our male partners/leaders start helping us find the right blend and supporting our freedom of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Radek Myszka: April this is great! You sound so excited. I am happy for you :) I love the idea of you writing the blog, it's energizing and inspiring just as it always has been in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @agata I couldn't agree more. Today someone commented that everytime a woman does something like this, it sets women back!?what? I think we are just entering into the next era, and I'm glad we work at a progressive company that supports both men and women dialing up and down at different stages in life.

    ReplyDelete