Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 25, 26 and 27

Well, day 25 was the Friday before I left for Geneva. It seems a long time ago. I've been telling people I'd lost my mojo for awhile, but I think I finally have it back today. :-)

I can finally put on here that I'm getting a new assignment at work. I didn't want to say until it was official, because I know too many people from work read this :-) Anyway, it's a great assignment, working directly with one of the presidents. It's been tailored to my 60% work week, so it just re-enforces for me that making these types of life decisions is very doable. We all too often use our careers as an excuse not to make tough decisions. Right now I feel my career is completely in my hands. I'm nervous and excited...exactly the way I should feel.

Of course doing a transition on a 60% schedule isn't easy. The reason I was in Geneva was to get grounded in the new role. It basically meant I was working 20x6, and it took its toll. I came home and thought I'd be able to just jump back in after a restful weekend...but as usual wasn't able to shut off. I had so much I wanted to do for my new role, and so much to try to close out the old role. It's the usual balancing act of course, I just underestimated the time I would need to get caught up. My calendar at work was again completely insane because of peoples' meetings being pushed back by a week. I spent this whole week with no more than 30 minutes free each day from meetings. I know now something about myself, which is I can't turn off at night in that environment. I need at least 1-2 hours of think and organize time each day.

Side bar - Zak just locked RoboKwiecien into the bathroom. I have no idea why. I let her out, and he trapped her back in there again.

Anyway, Wednesday was a horrible day with Zak. He was a little sick, and so didn't want to do anything. (Want to go to the pool?, no, King's Island?, no, the park?, no, library? no) So we stayed home all day, but it wasn't really relaxing. I had this kind of cloud in my mind the whole day. Maybe from jet lag, maybe from thinking about work, or maybe I was getting a bit sick too. I did sneak a few emails into the day. By the evening I had a migraine that continued over into Thursday. We just sat around the whole day, not doing much. He also picked up some bad things from day care. At one point he said, "Look Mommy, I'm biting" and he bit his own arm. Kuba got 2 incident reports last week (that makes 7 total) of a kid at school biting Zak (apparently biting everyone.) Anyway, just not a great day, and it bled into Thursday. I cancelled all my non-essential meetings Thursday. Slept off the migraine in the morning (well, after my 7am meeting), went to 3 meetings in the afternoon, we were all in bed by about 8:30 Thursday evening, and I got up at 1:30am and worked for a couple hours to feel caught up again.

And today...I've got my mojo back :-) Zak and I slept in. Kuba was very nice to be extra quiet this morning. At about 7:30 Zak asked me to lay next to him on the couch, and we slept for another 30 minutes. We slowly got up, ate breakfast, and then decided to go to King's Island. SO FUN! We came home at about 1:30 so he could nap and get ready for our zoo trip tonight with my cousin Anita. Today was much better. We are like our old selves again :-) I guess we just needed a few days to adjust after the Geneva trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment