Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 13

Friday started with me feeling a little down. My colleague at work was told her 8 year old son is probably down to weeks left to live. He has a very rare brain cancer that only attacks children, and so far there is no known cure. They've been battling it for almost a year. It breaks my heart...I'm sure hers is completely shattered.

It put me in a depressed mood. It makes me really think that what I'm doing is right for me. I need to know I'm valuing these times with my family. We are at such a fun time in a family's "career"...and it will be over all too soon, maybe even sooner than I think.

Even so, we had a nice day Friday. Zak found the camera we bought him a few months ago and asked to go to the zoo to take pictures of the animals. We have season passes, so I said, why not? We went for about 1.5 hours before it started to rain. He took lots of pictures of himself, thinking he was taking pictures of the animals. His favorite this time was the snakes, and he was good at finding them! I thought in one of the exhibits there were only 3 snakes, he kept pointing out more and we eventually found 9!

Then we went and met some friends downtown at Arnold's for lunch.

At some point in the afternoon I looked at our house and realized I really should take some time to clean a bit. I let Zak lay down in his bed and turned on a Thomas the Train DVD for him to watch. I then set about straightening the house. I turned on our Roomba (we call her Robo Kwiecien). Kwiecien is April in Polish, and for some reason Kuba personalizes every thing electronic in our house to some form of my Polish name (PC Kwiecien, Pod Kwiecien, Robo Kwiecien)...anyway, I set her to vacuuming while I did some dusting, etc.

About 30 minutes later, I realize I no longer hear Robo Kwiecien, so start the search to see where she stopped...I find her next to Zak's bed, turned on her back. I'm assuming she came into the bedroom, Zak couldn't hear his cartoon above the noise, so fixed it by flipping her over (which automatically stops her). He makes me laugh.

Later we went to play with Rowan for awhile, and then took Zak to a Cincinnati Cyclones game with our friend Dan. He loved it.

Friday was good. I feel so lucky to have this time...and maybe a little guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment