Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 31

We kept Zak home from school on Thursday for fear he might have the hand, foot and mouth disease. Kuba stayed home with him, which made it very easy on me work-wise. But poor Zak drooled through 3 shirts during the day.

The doctor said it wasn't hand, foot and mouth...but just very bad cold sores. He said that when children first get cold sores, they often get them throughout their whole mouth because they just don't have any build up to fight them. Poor Zak. He doesn't know what's going on. All his favorite foods and drinks hurt really bad.

He keeps saying he has boo boos in his mouth and wants me to kiss them. I can't help but smile at that. He absolutely hates the Orajel that I put on them...but usually feels better for a bit afterward when I manage to get it applied.

Friday I just took the approach of trying to keep him as busy as possible to keep his mind off them. Dana and Rowan helped with that. We went to the park in the morning, then met my friend Mitch for lunch. After lunch, Zak just wouldn't sleep for longer than 15 minutes unless he was in my arms, and I really wanted him to sleep. So we rocked in the rocking chair for 2 and a half hours (I had to go to the bathroom so bad at the end!) At least he got some rest.

We had planned a date night Friday night with Dana and Matt. We were going to try out this new "night time day care" in Montgomery...we thought the boys might have fun doing it together actually, but with Zak's mouth, and Rowan was actually showing signs of not feeling well either...we left the men at home with the boys and Dana and I went out for a couple hours. A friend of mine had this really cool idea to showcase 40 of her husband's best photographs (he does photography as a hobby now...but has won several contests) at our local art gallery. So the art gallery was closed except for her party and we got to see his pictures. It was really, really nice. Then we took my friend from Poland, Lukasz, to Mt. Adams and had a drink. It was a nice evening.

But Zak still couldn't sleep well last night. About every 2 hours he woke up, probably from the drool on his pillow, and complained about the boo boos in his mouth. The one I can see is definitely getting better though, so we're on the right path. Lack of sleep makes me grumpy for sure...I don't know how I did it those first few months back to work when I was still breast feeding!

Anyway, I'm grateful I had Wednesday and Friday off last week so I could take care of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment