Saturday, January 22, 2011

Days 73 and 74

This week has gone pretty well. I tell you though, these two day work weeks (since Monday was MLK day) really do make it hard for me to keep up! And the snow days aren't helping either. A little chaotic of a week, but all and all ended on a high note. I keep feeling like if I had one more day a week, I'd be completely in control...wishful thinking I'm sure. The other thing thats become very clear to me...we have way too many full day meetings. Jimini. We need to get more efficient with coming to the big ideas. Anyway, I did do some work a couple hours during the evenings after Zak went to bed this week. It worked out well. I honestly don't mind doing that, the only risk is that if there is some kind of escalation sitting in my email that I can't fix until the morning, it will ruin my sleep that evening. Anyway, that didn't happen this week.

I have what we call a "triad" next week. Where I talk about anything on my mind with my manager and my manager's manager. The interesting thing is that my manager suggested that I not even mention my less than full time. I thought I'd at least talk about how it's going, the challenges, etc...she said there is no reason to even mention it because I'm doing great. I understand what she's trying to do...but it's the first time in a while that I was reminded that there is a stigma with what I'm doing. A feeling of "maybe she's not as dedicated to the company as others", and she's trying to manage it. Or, maybe, it's just not as big a deal to others as it is to me.

Anyway, between MLK day, daycare opening late and closing early...it seemed Zak and I got to spend a lot of time together thsi week. We didn't do much, because of the weather. On Wednesday, we did go up to the rec center. We love playing shuffleboard together...and he's pretty good at it! We then went to check out the YMCA to see if we wanted to join. Zak was so cute on their tour. He walked into every room, looked around. Stood and listened. Anyway, when we were done, I had planned to head home for lunch, and Zak if we could go to Applebees. Sure, why not. Turns out, Wednesdays kids eat free. Good call Zak! We came home, and napped together. I could tell he was starting to get a bit sick. He slept for an hour in his bed, then for another two hours in my arms in the orange rocking chair. He's getting so big, he can barely fit with me, but we're adjusting. By Thursday, he had completely lost his voice, and found that very disturbing. I would tell him, it's ok, you are sick and sometimes you lose your voice when you are sick. He would try to yell, but it would only come out in a whisper "No! I'm not sick.." and then look at my strange like, what the heck is going on with my voice??

Thursday night was a bit of a tough night, and I was glad to have Friday off. One bonus to working part time, is that as long as he gets sick on the days I have off, it doesn't through too much of a wrench into things. So Friday we just stayed at home to recoup. He was much better, although again slept for 3 hours in my arms in the orange rocking chair...so he was obviously still recovering. In the morning, he was kind of lazily playing computer and such (which I didn't mind, because I didn't want him too active)...so Monika and I made some chicken enchilads and birthday cake for Kuba. I met Sara for lunch, which was great, then came home and held Zak while he napped. At 5 I met Kuba for some tennis, and then Dana, Matt and Rowan came over to hang out. All of this is just another great side effect of working part time...I have more time for myself and Kuba as well.

One cute thing Zak did this week, we went over to Dana and Matt's at some point, and he loves their cats. He was petting softly their black and white one...and he said "Mom, look, he's so beautiful!" and then the cat ran off, and Zak said "Aww, he's a little shy, like you Mom..." I was astounded. I asked him to say it again, just to make sure I heard him right...and he said the same thing. I have no idea if he even knows what shy is, and why he thinks I am (I am!)...cracked me up.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how observant they can be, isn't it? The other day Maya said "Yup!" to me and I started joking saying "Yup! Yup! Yup!" in a funny voice and she just laughed and laughed and said "Papa's more silly." And she's right, that's one way that I relate to her, by being silly. Chad is far less silly.

    I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete