Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 8

Wednesday was a really good day. It was rather busy, but again, it's really nice that I have time to do some of the things I never seemed to have time for before.

I got to the lab right when it opened to get some bloodwork done, then managed to get back in time for breakfast as a family. I'm really, really liking that! Normally I'm in the office already by about 6am, so we only got to eat breakfast as a family on the weekends. It's so nice having these couple extra days together. I feel much closer to Kuba right now too. In fact, last night I was starting to feel a little guilty. Why do I get to do this? So many people have no choice, they HAVE to work so much, and here I am getting to have this extra time with my family. I for the first time was feeling a bit guilty at work too...having less on my plate than others. But again, I have to remember, I'm sacraficing 40% of my pay, so I shouldn't feel that guilty. But I do hope I don't start taking this for granted. This week I really feel the balance is shifting...I'm really managing to have more time, mind and soul, with my family. Now, it is a holiday week at work, lots of people out on vacation, so hopefully I'll continue to manage it when the hustle and bustle picks back up next week.

After breakfast, I had another quick appt, then came back and Zak and I hopped on the bikes and took some winter clothes up to Goodwill...and then I spontaneously decided to get a pedicure as we were riding by an empty nails salon. They were great with Zak. Again, it's so different doing things like that during the week. They weren't slammed with people, and Zak literally had the run of the place.

We came back in time to have our last lunch with Babcia and Kuba...and then I sadly had to take
Babcia to the airport. As we loaded her suitcases, Zak proclaimed that the little green carry-on was Babcia's, the big red one was Tato's, and the biggest black one was Zakie's. I guess I didn't get one. :-) Funny he claimed the biggest one for himself. He clearly thought we were all going somewhere. Anyway, we took Babcia down to the airport and I didn't just drop her at the curb like we've had to in the past. I had time to help her get checked in, they even gave me a pass so I could help her get through security. I'm glad, I mean, she's 65 years old and doesn't speak much English. While of course she can manage it, it's unnecessary stress for her. So I took her all the way to the gate, introduced her to the staff so they could help her, and then we tearfully said our good-byes. She's been here for 4 months, so the house definitely feels a little empty without her now.

I came home and Zak and I took the bikes again up to the park. He played at the playground for awhile, then we went and fed the ducks. He was telling me "1 duck, 2 duckS" ... emphasizing the s. Obviously someone has been working that with him, probably at daycare.

It was starting to get a bit cold then, and while I at first told Zak we'd go to the library, the wind had picked up so much that I didn't want to stay out much later (it was already about 5 by then)...luckily a train was starting to come down the tracks near our house...we could hear it from the park. Zak heard it first :-) So we turned our attention to trying to huff it as fast as possible so Zak could see the train go by. We managed to get a block away, so he at least got to see it as it passed....I had wanted to be closer, but he still was happy to see the real train.

It was still warm enough when we got home that we did some chalk drawings in the driveway. Zak asked me to draw Thomas...I did my best. I forgot to put the number 1 on his side, but Zak reminded me. He also had me draw a bell for him. Afterward he was really excited. He proceeded to have me draw Edward, Gordon, Rosie and Percy. I have no idea how he knows what those all look like. I know vaguely by now at least the colors and sizes. He knew what numbers to put on Percy and Edward, that amazes me.

Anyway, by then Tato was done working, feeling a bit sick, so we stayed home, ate dinner, and I helped them kind of get cuddled up on the couch before I went off to tennis practice.

By the way, Zak hasn't had one potty training accident the whole week...I think it's official. Our son is really a big boy. :-) I've really, really enjoyed my week this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment